Tuesday 22 July 2014

Four A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth



“Two years before Beatrice Prior makes her choice, the sixteen-year-old son of Abnegation’s faction leader does the same. Tobias’s transfer to Dauntless is his chance to begin again. Newly renamed “Four” he discovers that initiation is only the beginning…
Four must claim his place in the Dauntless hierarchy. And his decisions will affect future initiates as well as uncover secrets that could threaten his own future – and the future of the entire faction system.


Two years later, Four is poised to act but the course is still unclear. The first new initiate who jumps into the net might change all that. With her, the way to righting their world might become clear. With her it might become possible to be Tobias once again.”



This was a collection of four short stories by Veronica Roth about the male lead in Divergent, Four. It follows his journey from Abnegation to Dauntless, highlighting his relationships with various members of Dauntless – both friendly and hostile. Included at the end of the book were 3 exclusive scenes that we have already lived from Tris’s perspective entitled “First Jumper – Tris!”, “Careful, Tris” and “You look good, Tris”.

I loved this book. I felt it gave us a much better understanding of Tobias and it redeemed him in my eyes – I rather disliked him by the end of Allegiant (you know you agree with me). It was nice to see him actually form friendships – the Four in the Divergent trilogy is a total lone wolf and distanced from everyone.

The short stories nicely tied up loose ends surrounding his character and events that you knew preceded the original trilogy and this was a huge pull for me as I love to know every little detail of a storyline. I especially enjoyed the last short story entitled “The Traitor” and the exclusive scenes as rereading key parts of Divergent from another perspective really appealed to me and showed more about Four’s personality than the other books did. Parts of this actually made me laugh out loud.



I still did not connect with Four/Tobias in the same way I did with Tris. Whether this was because he was a male (which hasn’t been a problem for me before) or because I already had an opinion on the character (which wasn’t a great one) I don’t know – however it is definitely worth a read for fans of Veronica Roth and Divergent.



No comments:

Post a Comment